Africa’s economic transformation (i.e. high productivity and employment-rich growth, economic diversification, technological upgrading, and international competitiveness) requires ambitious and innovative approaches to development strategy and economic policy. ACET’s primary objective is to provide high quality research, policy analysis and advice to African policy makers and economic actors to help meet this challenge.
Reporting to the Director, the Senior Economist will provide intellectual leadership and advocacy on pertinent economic policy issues, working in collaboration with other ACET researchers.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Specifically, the Senior Economist will:
- Review global economic trends and policies and their impact on trade, financing, growth and employment in sub-Sahara Africa (SSA)
- Undertake research and doing analytical work on economic issues
- Lead or participate in cross-country research on various economic issues relevant for economic transformation
- Become an active provider of economic analysis and serve as a spokesperson for ACET on economic issues to external parties and governments
- Perform other duties or special projects as directed by the Director or President-ACET.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in economics focusing on macroeconomics
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant and broad professional experience
- Proven experience in research with a strong record of publications in refereed journals
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills – knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques and in economic analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to share technical knowledge and experience and to identify, analyze and disseminate best practices
- Good leadership abilities, strong Interpersonal skills and demonstrated track record of working in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills coupled with the ability to build strong and lasting relationships with organisational stakeholders.
- A self-starter who can work independently with minimal support as well as within a team environment
- Ability to work under pressure to deliver on time with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must be flexible and willing to travel if necessary.
ACET works in a fast-paced environment where new opportunities arise quickly with our existing and new partners. In addition, ACET creates connections between areas of work that maximise the use of resources available at the organisation’s disposal. This is an enabling role – positively supportive of change and driving for the new. ACET offers an exciting opportunity for the right candidate who would be looking to join a growing and fast-changing organisation; appreciative of the dynamics of a young, growing organisation and who can adapt easily to change.
Attractive and commensurate with experience
Apply online by uploading your CV and cover letter below.