The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET), an economic policy institute based in Accra, Ghana, seeks to fill the position of Senior Analyst to work with the President and Executive Vice President (EVP). The position provides high level technical and administrative support to the President and EVP towards the implementation of ACET’s transformation agenda.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Senior Analyst assists in the delivery of organisational programmes led by the President and EVP. S/he will be responsible for ensuring programmes are effectively implemented and communicated across the organisation. S/he will lead on:
- Ensuring the ACET Transformation Leaders Panel (TLP) are effectively supported and that key actions are implemented;
- Developing a plan for robust engagement between the ACET core team and ACET Transformation and Senior Fellows Networks
- Support the President and EVP in Board Engagement.
Areas of Responsibility
More specifically, the Senior Analyst shall be involved in the following areas of ACET’s work;
Support the Chair and the Panel members
- Work with ACET colleagues to mobilize the valuable skills of the TLP to create networks and catalyse policy change and action in Africa and across the globe.
- Ensure that all TLP members are fully informed of all sub-panel activities and its links to key political developments in Africa and globally. It is envisaged that the elements of the annual TLP work plan will be implemented by sub-groups in collaboration with ACET.
- Identify opportunities and interventions for the Panel and prepare appropriate policy briefs, information notes, publications, public statements, op-eds and articles by Panel members.
Implementation for policy change
- On a bi-annual basis, identify a limited number of topics for strategic focus scanning the global and African political and policy environments. This will be subject to the existing work-plan of the Panel.
- Work with the Senior Team to create and coordinate networks and coalitions of stakeholders including policy influencers, heads of state, heads of industry, and civil society that will support the TLP to influence policy for positive change.
- Work with the Communications Director to prepare and implement internal and external communication for the TLP’s work and policy influence.
Manage the Secretariat
- As Secretary for the TLP ensure:
- Meetings are well organised and executed with a clear agenda
- Minutes of meetings are circulated within a week of any meetings
- Key actions are followed through with the relevant members of the TLP including setting up individual meetings for Panel members where appropriate.
ACET Transformation Fellows
- Develop a five-year strategic partnership and financing plan for the ACET Transformation Fellows Scheme.
- Develop a recruitment plan for effective identification and selection of Fellows. This will be done in collaboration with ACET colleagues and partners
- Develop and implement a framework for continued engagement between ACET and the Alumni of Transformation Fellow
- Work with the Communications Director to prepare and implement a communications plan on the ACET Transformation Fellows Scheme – including achievements of current and past fellows.
- Work with ACET colleagues to:
- Identify a skills database of ACET Distinguished and Fellows
- Identify areas where Fellows can assist ACET deliver its programme, policy and advocacy portfolios
- Work with the Senior Directors to agree ways Fellows they can assist in the delivery of ACET’s portfolio of programmes and advocacy initiatives. Once agreed, work with HR to put in place a systems to translate this into action.
- Work with the Communications Director to prepare and implement a communications plan on the Fellows.
Board Strategic Engagement
Work with the President and EVP to ensure the Board of Directors are kept up to date on and engaged in key ACET issues. Tasks will include:
- Drafting a monthly board update note on ACET’s work
- Working with colleagues to identify key strategic areas for board engagement (e.g. fundraising events, partnership building etc) and ensuring individual board members are briefed to assist ACET as appropriate
- Identify key strategic areas for Presidents catch-up discussions with individual board member and prepare a briefing memo for the call.
- Work with the Board Secretary to ensure strategic issues are included in board meeting agendas and ensure follow-up actions are implemented.
- Assist the President and EVP on other strategic issues as requested.
The preferred candidate will meet the following criteria;
- Advanced degree in economics, international relations, international development, or related.
- Extensive knowledge of African development and governance issues in the international system, including experience in policy analysis, influence and research.
- Strong independent research and analytical skills and an ability to apply strong problem-solving frameworks to issues.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with a proven ability to taper style for different
- An understanding of development issues in the context of business and civil society.
- Diplomatic skills and experience of working with very senior figures in government and the private sector.
- Good networking skills with a proven ability to build and manage relationships.
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Fluent English; an ability to work in French will be an asset.
Based in Accra, this position will involve travel.
Africa’s economic transformation requires ambitious and innovative approaches to development strategy and economic policy in a rapidly evolving regional context. The African Center for Economic Transformation provides high-quality research, policy analysis, and advice to African policy makers and economic actors to help meet this challenge.
Interested applicants should email their CV and an accompanying cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for the receipt of all applications is 28th July, 2020.
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.