The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET), an economic policy institute based in Accra, Ghana, seeks a Knowledge Manager.
As a purveyor of knowledge, ACET’s main product comes in the form of the written word, including research studies, policy papers, and expert analyses. Since 2009, ACET has produced over 200 knowledge products which need to be broken into digestible pieces for dissemination to our various audiences. In addition, in order to keep all our staff up to date on key programs, we want to create a Knowledge Management System that facilitates the efficient flow of information across the organization.
The Knowledge Manager will oversee these activities and coordinate ACET’s knowledge generation, documentation, archiving, and dissemination of content. The Knowledge Manager will also serve as the focal point for ACET’s Flagship Program, the Pan-African Coalition for Transformation (PACT).
Background and Objectives
Despite efforts to improve the uptake of our knowledge products, too often they are only shared with direct project stakeholders. We want to improve the dissemination of these products to a broader audience of policymakers, development partners, academia, private sector, and the media.
Our staff is engaged across 43 projects in multiple countries, and work with stakeholders across Africa, Europe and the US. They have to be kept up to date on key programs to facilitate a culture of learning and collaboration within the organization. To ensure this, we intend to create a Knowledge Management System that facilitates the efficient flow of information across the organization.
In 2016, ACET launched the Pan-African Coalition for Transformation (PACT) as a mechanism for local policymakers to gain information and support as they design and implement innovative policies related to economic transformation. Structured as themed chapters of 6-10 countries, the objective of each PACT Chapter is to develop communities of practice that build the capacity of policymakers and stakeholders in each thematic area. ACET plans to launch two new PACT chapters focused on Youth, Employment, and Skills (YES) and Agriculture in 2021, which will build on research work already undertaken by ACET through two extensive multi-country studies. Subsequent chapters may be launched as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Knowledge Manager will lead ACET’s efforts to manage the strategy, processes, tools and staff required to ensure the efficient flow of information and knowledge internal and external to ACET. In collaboration with all ACET teams, the manager will:
Serve as the organizational focal point to coordinate activities around knowledge generation, documentation, archiving, and dissemination of content.
Knowledge Generation and Dissemination
- Coordinate the commissioning, repackaging and dissemination of knowledge materials.
- Liaise with the Research and Communications teams to expand knowledge production activities, through the development of content for media and external audiences.
- Ensure quality standards for external knowledge products by ensuring compliance with ACET’s publications guidelines, and keeping guidelines updated.
- Organize knowledge products into physical and online resource libraries, keeping them updated and encouraging the use of materials by ACET staff and external users through outreach activities.
- Support the PMO in capturing key deliverables and lessons learned and presenting them in easily accessible formats.
Coordination of the Pan-African Coalition for Transformation Dialogues and Portal
The Knowledge Manager will serve as the focal point for ACET’s Flagship Program, the Pan-African Coalition for Transformation (PACT) and drive this through four key activities:
Annual PACT events that bring stakeholders together. These events will foster cross-country technical discussions and networks that can help set the broad agenda for the PACT forum and identify synergies between country objectives and development plans. The knowledge manager will be responsible for:
- Coordinating the day-to-day engagements under PACT, including the organization of the PACT events at continental, regional and national levels.
- Coordinating with the concerned Research & Advisory team members to ensure their research is effectively translated into material that can be used guide PACT discussions.
A critical component of the PACT program is the development and continuous usage of an online portal by ACET and PACT members to drive continuous country engagement. PACT Interactive portal will have three primary functionalities: A monitoring dashboard for policy implementation; a policy knowledge sharing interface; and online policymaking learning opportunities. The knowledge manager will drive the design and management of the portal.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in relevant field (e.g., public policy, social sciences, media and communications, journalism, or related field)
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience in producing knowledge products and/or policy briefs for donor audiences
- Experience of developing or managing information systems (for example, virtual or physical libraries or archives) and in using multiple communication and knowledge production formats (film, audio, visual/graphics) desirable
- Ability to quickly pick up new software and communications tools
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and strong editing skills. Demonstrated capacity for analysis and for synthesizing complex information for different audiences
- Experience of working with information management systems / databases and social media platforms preferred
- Proven project management skills
- Strong understanding of economic and social development policy in Africa, particularly in relation to the economic transformation agenda
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to work collegiately with researchers, helping to shape research communications for target audiences
- Excellent writing skills, and proven ability to summarize technical research in clear, compelling language for both technically literate and non-technical audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues at high levels of seniority and from different cultures
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative and as part of a team
- Confident in questioning the validity of information and in offering relevant and effective ideas and solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure to deliver on time with attention to detail and accuracy
Interested applicants should e-mail their CV and accompanying cover letter to
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 22nd June,2021. Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.