The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET), an economic policy institute based in Accra, Ghana, seeks to fill the position of Content Writer.
As a purveyor of knowledge, ACET’s main product comes in the form of the written word, including research studies, policy papers, and expert analysis. In addition, ACET’s external communication needs include press releases, talking points, grant applications, and web updates, including social media. The purpose of this role is to ensure high quality and consistency in all types of ACET’s writing. The successful candidate is not required to relocate to Ghana and may work remotely.
Reporting to the Editorial Manager, the Content Writer will be part of ACET’s growing communications team and will be responsible for creating compelling content and to help ensure high quality and consistency in all ACET written products.
Areas of Responsibility
- Tailor economic and thought leadership content to support client communications
- Assist in content creation of internal and external communication products as needed, including proposals, strategy documents, and memos
- Help shape story ideas and angles around economic transformation issues
- Generate content across the various external communications channels, including press releases, articles and blog posts for the web site, and social media updates, web content, video scripting and email
- Work in collaboration with the research team to extract key messages from ACET knowledge products to amplify and promote
- Help ensure all documents for external dissemination are well written, grammatically correct, fit for purpose, and consistent with the ACET style
- Assist in writing speeches, blogs and other communication content for ACET leadership
- Scan the transformation space to look for opportunities to project ACET.
- Helping create style guides or suggesting changes to ensure content is consistent and clear
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
The preferred candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g., media and communications, public policy, English, journalism or related field.
- Professional experience in content writing for an economics policy organization or similar
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent writing skills, and proven ability to summarise technical research in clear, compelling language for both technically literate and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure
- Strong attention to detail and able to deliver to high quality editorial standards
- Ability to work collegiately with researchers, helping to shape research communications for target audiences
- Strong understanding of economic and social development policy in Africa, particularly in relation to the economic transformation agenda
- Excellent IT and data management skills, including Microsoft Office
- Ability to quickly pick up new software and communications tool
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues at high levels of seniority and from different cultures
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative and as part of a team
- Confident in questioning the validity of information and in offering relevant and effective ideas and solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure to deliver on time with attention to detail and accuracy
Africa’s economic transformation requires ambitious and innovative approaches to development strategy and economic policy in a rapidly evolving regional context. The African Center for Economic Transformation provides high-quality research, policy analysis, and advice to African policy makers and economic actors to help meet this challenge.
Interested applicants should email their CV and an accompanying cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.