Purpose and Scope of the Job
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Programs Manager will be responsible for creating, managing and reporting on all ACET programs and projects. This includes creating and managing tools for reporting and analysis, supporting teams in their planning and reporting (including impact evaluation) and helping forecast risks to activity.
In addition, the position holder will act as the champion for effective project management and mentor teams on the tools, skills and activities of successful projects. The role is a critical link between teams and will make ACET activity transparent and build practical links between teams to make the most of resources and skills within the organisation.
The Senior Programs Manager will be resident at the ACET headquarters in Accra, Ghana.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Is the ‘go-to’ person for the latest program and project work plans at ACET. This specifically includes responsibility for managing the funding agreements and work plan and reporting for the donors: Hewlett, World Bank, Government of the Netherlands, Ford Foundation, Rockefeller and others.
- Supports Directors and managers to turn new business opportunities into reality by conducting capacity and skills analysis across the business.
- Project manages priority projects identified by the organisation as necessary from time to time to be managed outside established programs or teams.
- Creates, maintains and develops the tools and reports required to keep track of the progress of programs and projects in a way that helps teams achieve their aims whilst evaluating and measuring impact more effectively.
- Consolidates and writes progress and impact reports on programs and projects in conjunction with managers; especially for use by the senior team, but also more widely.
- Prepares and presents reports to the senior and wider teams on organisational performance against plans as well as working with the Finance team to create and report on efficiency metrics that can be used to maximise value to ACET’s fund providers.
- Provides inputs, based on information gathered from projects and programs, to help managers prepare reports to fund providers and for fundraising bids.
- Drafts and presents the monthly progress report for the senior management team.
- Supports program and project leaders to plan and maintain plans and reports for team projects and activities.
- Creates and maintains a useful program and project status log.
- Identifies inefficiencies in planning across programs and projects to maximise impact with the resources available.
- Acts as the centre of excellence for ACET on project management practice, building a common understanding of ‘the ACET way’ with already experienced colleagues on the tools, skills and knowledge required for success in our environment.
- Educated to Masters level, with at least 5-7 years managing projects.
- Experienced at managing projects, budgets and teams through more than two project cycles; ideally in both IT and non-IT environments.
- Ideally trained in Project Management, though practical experience of managing projects within teams is even more valued.
- Prince 2 or PMP qualification is desirable.
- Strong planning, reporting and analytical skills to systematically document and create useful tools that enable effective decision-making.
- Competent communicator (both verbal and written), adept at effectively communicating at both senior management and operational level.
- Advanced level MS Office user.
- Superior editing skills with the ability to write detailed reports whilst clearly identifying key points to succinctly summarise these into brief (preferably 1-page) documents.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills coupled with the ability to build strong and lasting relationships with organisational stakeholders.
- A can-do attitude with a positive approach to problem resolution and communicating with people.
- A self-starter who can work independently with minimal support as well as within a team environment
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver on time with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Recognises, creates and seizes opportunities to put ideas into practice.
- Approaches projects methodically, with rigour and attention to detail.
- Confident in questioning the validity of information and in offering ideas and solutions which are relevant and effective.
- Strong people management skills with the ability to develop others and to impart knowledge and experience in an accessible and clear manner.
- Must be flexible and willing to travel if necessary.
ACET works in a fast-paced environment where new opportunities arise quickly with our existing and new partners. In addition, ACET creates connections between areas of work that maximise the use of resources at the organisation’s disposal. This is an enabling role – positively supportive of change. ACET offers an exciting opportunity for the right candidate who would be looking to join a growing and fast-changing organisation; appreciative of the dynamics of a young organisation and who can adapt easily to change.
Attractive and commensurate with experience
Apply online by uploading your CV and cover letter below.