Overview of the Program:
The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET) has launched its Transformation Fellows Program. The resident fellows will directly support country relevant policy analysis and implementation in sectors such as manufacturing, agro-processsing, skills development and extractives that are among the key pathways to transformation. The fellows will also be closely involved in ACET’s coordination role with the G20 Compact for Africa countries, as they implement reforms to enhance investment. At the same time, the Transformation Fellows will expand their own understanding of development issues facing Africa and help craft solutions to some of the continent’s biggest challenges.
Selected ACET Transformation Fellows will include African professionals, particularly from the diaspora but also those on the continent where appropriate, who will work on specific projects or policy challenges related to ACET’s core platforms and programs. It will also allow them to work in a pan-African organization with strong capacity and convening power.
We are therefore reaching out to professionals who have a passion for Africa and to see it transformed “within a generation” to take up fellowship positions at ACET. You will have the opportunity to spend one year at ACET (with the possibility of renewal) as a Principal Economist or Technical Expert with an emphasis on one of the following areas: private sector, agriculture, youth, skills and employment, resource mobilisation and management.
Fellows will be resident at the ACET headquarters in Accra, Ghana.
ACET has a strong track record and a robust and challenging work program. We are facilitating the Pan-African Coalition for Transformation (PACT) with a specific focus on extractives, manufacturing, agriculture, skills and resource mobilization and management. We also support implementation of the G20 Compact with Africa, with enhanced private sector development as the primary objective. ACET undertakes world-class research and analysis, publishes flagship reports on transformation, had developed an African Transformation Index, and hosts African Transformation Forums. Transformation Fellows will help lead ACET’s work in these areas, bringing macroeconomic and sectoral expertise. The fellows will serve as team leaders for specific deliverables and focal points for policy dialogue.
Specifically, each Transformation Fellow will:
- Review global and regional economic trends and policies and their impact on trade, financing, growth and employment in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)
- Undertake research and analytical work on sector-specific economic issues
- Lead or participate in cross-country research on various economic issues relevant to economic transformation
- Become an active provider of high level economic analysis and serve as a spokesperson for ACET on sector-specific economic issues to external parties and governments, as appropriate
- Support preparation of the African Transformation Report, African Transformation Index, African Transformation Forum, and other key outputs
- Support ACET’s resource mobilization strategy.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
Education and Experience
- Advanced degree in economics, business, agriculture, international development or other related field
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant and broad professional experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills – knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques and high competence in economic analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to share technical knowledge and experience and to identify, analyze and disseminate examples of best practice
- Good leadership abilities, strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated track record of working in a team.
Attractive and commensurate with experience
Apply online by uploading your CV and cover letter below.